- How did your initiation into running happen? And when?
When I was 47 years old a friend’s son brought me a form for a race which was to happen within 10 days. The distance was 10 Kmts. He made me sign the form and he got me my race bib etc. I came 10th in that veteran race and the prize money I got was Rs.100/-. This is what gave me the incentive to get into serious running. All this was sometime way back in 1986.
- What was the reason you got into running?
As I came 10th in my first race with only 4 outings before the race as the 5th outing was the race itself – gave me the confidence to take up the sport as I felt that with constant practice I could be a winner.
- What was your initial experience when you started running in Mumbai in terms of weather, people’s response the roads, traffic and crowds?
- As far as the weather is concerned, I am from Mumbai and did the weather did not have much impact on me as I was used to the climatic condition.
- People’s response was varied. When on practice some cheered and some jeered – matara matara. Some youngsters would stop the car next to me and asked me “Uncle you want to race” laugh and zoom off.
- The roads are pathetic. Pot holes can damage an athlete’s foot and slows you down as you are constantly looking down to evade these.
- As far as the crowds are concerned in race conditions, they always cheer which give you a high to push yourself.
- One has to be cautious of the traffic on normal practice runs. However, on race runs it depends how well the organizers have made traffic arrangements.
- How did you hear about Bandra NCPA monthly run? Any memorable or funny moments?
Through running buddies, I think Milton Frank who put me on to it. There are quite a few moments that I will cherish. There is Bhaskar Desai who always makes people laugh with his antics. So does Cowboy Kavin. The camaradie between runners is fantastic.
- A word on your association with Mumbai Road Runners and Bandra-NCPA run.
I try to join them whenever I can if in town. I look forward to these runs every month. What is more you can meet the new runners most young and some not so young.